The Division of Academic Affairs at Virginia Union University is committed to exemplary teaching and boasts of its proud faculty, composed of talented professors, scholars, advisors, and researchers, who are dedicated to helping students become life-long learners. The Division includes four academic schools: the Sydney Lewis School of Business; the School of Mathematics, Science and Technology; the School of Education, Psychology and Interdisciplinary Studies; and the School of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Overall, the mission of the Division of Academic Affairs is to prepare students to successfully compete with their counterparts upon graduation for employment and admissions to graduate or professional studies, while at the same time exhibiting characteristics of the ideal Virginia Union University Graduate. The Division of Academic Affairs is dedicated to providing an overall academic environment which is sensitive, supportive, and nurturing, while simultaneously, challenging students to achieve new levels of excellence. This is done with primary emphasis on excellent teaching, research, service, and advising; a strong curriculum; and high quality Academic Support Services. The Division also subscribes to the University’s rich heritage and traditions which is anchored in the liberal arts and is responsive to promoting the University’s overall Mission.
As the entity charged with enhancing the academic reputation of the University, the Division of Academic Affairs strives to achieve the following:
- Supports the recruitment, development, and retention of top-rank faculty and staff;
- Promotes a dynamic learning environment that prepares students to be nurtured, enlightened, and engaged citizens in a global society;
- Fosters diversity in its practices and supports a climate of inclusion for all members of the university community;
- Encourages research and creative endeavors of distinction;
- facilitates the development of initiatives that extend the university’s expertise to its constituents locally, nationally, and world-wide.
It is our goal that graduates will leave the hallowed grounds of Virginia Union University with skills, knowledge, dispositions, attitudes, and values essential for their success in society.