EVELYN R. SYPHAX SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, PSYCHOLOGY AND INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES
The mission of the School is to produce a nationally validated program that develops a community of professionals competent and dedicated to improving humanity. These professionals will exhibit knowledge and skills in their fields of study, engage in life-long learning and will be committed to professional growth. The School encourages scholarly inquiry based on reflective analysis in search for excellence, solid values, and a sense of personal worth in diverse settings.
The goals of the Syphax School are as follows:
• Provide student learning opportunities and experiences that enable them to function effectively and successfully as citizens and professionals in today’s global society
• Prepare students to apply critical and creative thinking skills with respect to making good decisions as they encounter life’s challenges and opportunities
• Provide a supportive, caring and intellectuality stimulating learning environment that will enable students to advance successfully towards graduation
The Syphax School has two departments:
1) Teacher Education and Interdisciplinary Studies and 2) Psychology.
The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree is offered in Psychology.
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree is offered in:
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Elementary Education Pre-K-6
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Special Education General Curriculum K-12
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Community-Based Education
(Students interested in Secondary Education declared a major in their selected subject area)
PK-16 PARTNERSHIPS AND COLLABORATIONS
The Syphax School is engaged in several partnerships and collaborations with the PK-16 Learning Community.
- Project Empowerment (improving Minority Disability Research Capacity)
- Pre-Service Teacher Math and Science Initiative
- Early Field Experience Tutoring Program
- Teacher 2 Teacher Conference
- Saturday Academy
- Student Teachers Partnering for success
- Early Field Experience for Tomorrow’s Teachers
- University Faculty Support Program
OTHER LINKS AND RESOURCES
Syphax School Fact Sheet
Student Teaching Handbook
Teacher Education Handbook
VUU TK20 Website