MARTIN E. GRAY BUILDING
The mission of the VUU Department of Social Work is to produce generalist practitioners who have personal background of social injustice an discrimination and who are competent in working with at-risk populations. Graduates will have client advocacy skills, a strong sense of self, adaptability and a sense of responsibility for their profession. Throughout the curriculum, the Department prepares students for graduate study in social work.
Students who receive a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from VUU are expected to:
1. Demonstrate competence in beginning practice with individuals, families, groups and communities;
2. Utilize current social work knowledge in making responsible decision based on self-awareness and knowledge of the values and ethics of the profession;
3. Demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge of social policy formulation in advocating for desired social change;
4. Understand and be able to work with clients from different racial, cultural, ethnic, sexual and religious backgrounds, and be able to combat the effects of social inequalities;
5. Be able to evaluate one’s own practice;
6. Be prepared to pursue graduate education.