The Math and Science Summer Institute provides students with an on-campus living experience prior to the beginning of freshman year, while introducing them to the scientific research process. Students will meet the following goals:
- Demonstrate the mathematical skills and proficiencies required to enroll in and successfully pass pre-calculus in the freshman year of study.
- Identify and utilize the scientific method and understand its role in the development of science.
- Increase their level of critical thinking.
Students who have been accepted as first-time freshmen to Virginia Union University (VUU) for Fall 2013 are eligible to apply. A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher is required. The required combined SAT Score (Mathematics and Critical Reading) is 900 (a score of 450 and above is needed in the Mathematics section).
1. Interested students must submit a completed Math and Science Summer Institute application no later than May 15, 2013.
2. An essay that describes the student’s career goals, science background (including relevant courses, employment or experiences) and reasons why the Math and Science Summer Institute would be beneficial to him/her is required. Also, the student must list favorite courses he/she has taken, hobbies/ other interest and any literature that has been read on a regular basis. The essay must follow these criteria: a minimum of 350 words; typed in Times New Roman size 12 point font, and doubled spaced. The student’s name should be clearly typed on the upper left-hand corner on the first page.
3. Two recommendation letters, to be completed by individuals who can attest to the student’s academic ability, are required. These recommendations may be submitted by the recommender directly to the VUU Math and Science Summer Institute, Box 400 1500 North Lombardy St. Richmond, VA. 23220 or faxed to the attention of Dr. Phillip Archer or Dr. Kevin Caillouet at 804-354-5928 to avoid any delays with submitting the application by the student.
4. Official COMPASS Test (Computer-Adaptive College Placement test) Score in mathematics should be at least 31. Test may be taken prior to selection or at the start of the summer institute.