Apply Now!

Parents Frequently Asked Questions

How does my student obtain a room for the 2014-2015 academic year?

Please click the links below for the housing assignment process that all students must participate in to obtain a room for the 2014-2015 academic year. 

        New, First Time Students             Returning Students (including Re-admits)


What is a Residence Hall Director (RHD or HD) and what is their role?

The Residence Hall Director (RHD) is a live-in professional, who is responsible for creating a community where academics, diversity, and community involvement are honored. Additionally, this position provides leadership for the overall management of the hall to create a safe, clean and comfortable environment for students and staff.

What is a Resident Assistant (RA) and what is their role?

A Resident Assistant (RA) is an upper-class student who serves students living in the residence halls. Under the supervision of a Residence Hall Director (RHD,) the RA is responsible for creating and maintaining a residence hall environment that is conducive to living and learning. As a means to accomplish this, the RA is expected to play a variety of constantly changing roles. The RA is expected to meet the needs of residents by serving as a mentor, community developer, resource person, educator, and peer.

How can my student become a Resident Assistant?

Resident Assistant selection typically occurs early in the spring semester when the official information session is held. The process involves several professional development workshops and an interview. RA’s are required to return to school earlier than other students in the fall to participate in training activities and building preparation.
The application process began on January 16 and is currently closed.

What happens if my student loses their room key or ID?

Students who lose their room keys should report it immediately to their Residence Hall Director. At this time, the student’s account will be charged $75 for a replacement lock. Replacement locks are typically completed within 24 hours. Locks are replaced to ensure that only the residents of that particular room have access to the room.

Lost ID cards should be reported to the University Police department. Students are required to pay a $25 fee at the Cashier’s office in the CD King building. Upon producing receipt of their payment to the University Police department, they will be issued a new ID card.

What if my student’s ID card is not working for their residence hall?

Student’s ID cards are the sole way to gain access to their residence hall so it is vital that cards are activated. If students are experiencing issues with their ID card and door access, they should visit the Office of Residence Life & Housing (Thomas Henderson Student Center, room 108) so we can assess the problem and correct it.

What if my student doesn’t get along with their roommate?

The Office of Residence Life & Housing makes every effort to ensure all students are comfortable and content with their residence hall environment, including their room. When residents move in, they are required to complete a Roommate Agreement Form, which details the guidelines that roommates will follow within the room. These guidelines relate to noise, cleanliness, borrowing of items, and guests.

Should conflict arise between roommates, students are expected to notify a residence hall staff member (Resident Assistant or Residence Hall Director.) Following that notification, a mediation will be scheduled to address the conflict. All staff members are trained on the mediation process.

Should mediation fail, a room change may be initiated, based on spacing availability.

Can my student get a single room?

There are a limited amount of single rooms available on campus. Students wishing to reside in single rooms are encouraged to begin the housing application process (including paying the appropriate fees) as early as possible to better their chances. In addition, first year students are not permitted to have single rooms.

What if my student wants to change rooms?

The Office of Residence Life & Housing opens an open room change period at the beginning of each semester. This typically occurs two weeks after registration has ended. Students are required to complete a Room Change form with their Residence Hall Director. Room changes are approved or denied based on spacing availability.

If students wish to change rooms outside of the designated period, they are encouraged to speak to their Residence Hall Director. However, room changes are not guaranteed.

How do I send my student mail?

All residential students are encouraged to obtain a campus mailbox with the Campus Mail Room. The Campus Mail Room is located on the first floor of the Henderson Student Center and is open Monday-Friday during posted hours.

Mail should be addressed as follows:

[Student Name]
[Campus Mail Box _______]
Virginia Union University
1500 North Lombardy Street
Richmond, VA 23220

How does my student get a parking permit?

Students are required to pay the parking permit fee at the Cashier’s office in the CD King Building. Upon paying, they should take their receipt to the University Police Department (located on the ground level of Pickford Hall) to obtain a parking permit. First year students are not permitted to have cars on campus.

My student wants to move off campus. What do they need to do?

Students wishing to move off campus are required to complete an Intent to Vacate form. These forms are available in their residence hall office and in the Office of Residence Life & Housing. Following receipt of their completed form, the student’s meal plan will be discontinued, their room key will be collected and their ID card will be deactivated for the hall in which they lived.

How does my student report a maintenance issue?

Students are required to complete a Maintenance Request form which is available outside of their residence hall office and online. Forms should be turned into a residence hall staff member. Typically, most requests have a 24-48 hour turnaround time. Residence hall staff members are responsible for following up with residents regarding their request.

How does the campus meal plan work?

All residential students have a campus meal plan with University Dining Services. The student dining hall is located on the upper level of the Henderson Student Center. Students are required to present their student ID card to gain access to the dining hall. The dining hall offers breakfast, lunch and dinner on Monday-Friday and brunch and dinner on Saturday-Sunday.

What is FERPA?

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) is a Federal regulation that states that Virginia Union University may not release certain types of student information to anyone without the student's expressed written consent. If your student grants us permission to discuss this information with you, we are happy to share what we know.

How much does laundry cost?

All residence halls have washers and dryers located in convenient areas for student use. Laundry is free.

Do students have to leave for holidays and Spring Break?

The residence halls will remain open for Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday and Good Friday holidays. On these days, the dining hall will operate utilizing a weekend schedule of brunch and dinner.

Students are required to leave for Spring Break. The halls will close on Saturday March 15, 2014 at noon and re-open on Sunday, March 23, 2014 at noon.

When do students leave for summer vacation?

The residence halls close for non-graduating students on Friday, May 9, 2014 at 5PM.

The residence halls close for graduating students on Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 4PM.

All residents are required to remove ALL belongings from their residence hall room, even if they are returning for summer school.

When does summer school begin?

Check-in for summer school begins on Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 8:30am in the Office of the Registrar. Check-in will also be offered on Friday, May 23, 2014. Classes begin on Tuesday, May 27, 2014.