General Summary of Responsibilities: The Chief Accountant performs complex accounting work according to generally accepted accounting principles, established procedures, departmental guidelines, and regulatory requirements applicable to the work. Work includes researching and collecting complex data, preparing clear and concise financial reports, and monitoring expenditures and revenues of assigned division and/or departments. The position is exempt and reports directly to the Comptroller in the Financial Affairs Division.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Plans, organizes and implements accounting operations and objectives; coordinates and integrates all activities toward achievement of established goals and objectives.
• Supervise the Senior Accountant, Grant Accountant and Student Interns, if applicable.
• Performs complex accounting work according to generally accepted accounting principles, established procedures, departmental guidelines, and regulatory requirements applicable to the work.
• Prepares critical fiscal documentation regarding accounting activities, e.g., weekly, monthly, and annual reports.
• Generates various system reports or audits calculations and ensures accuracy, e.g., billing, payroll processing, and accounts payable
• Maintains and reconciles balance sheet accounts for all funds with assistance from accounting support personnel.
• Plans, manages, coordinates, and implements the year end closing processes and procedures for the assigned accounting records, conducts year-end closing process; provides information to financial auditors; conducts standard internal audits or various accounting records.
• Ensures adherence to generally accepted accounting standards and principles; ensures maintenance of proper audit trails and verification and reconciliation actions for all processed work.
• Coordinates activities with other departments and work groups as needed.
• Prepares a variety of studies, reports and related information for decision-making purposes.
• Assist in registration and deferred payment plans for students when scheduled.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree-with an Accounting major- from an accredited university, CPA preferred; minimum three (3) years relevant experience with progressive responsibilities; must possess good oral/written communication skills; must be detail-oriented, people-oriented and customer focused; must be bondable; must have good computer skills and be able to learn quickly, Jenzabar experience a plus.
The selected applicant may be required to submit to a background investigation. VUU is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution committed to cultural, racial, and ethnic communities and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. It is expected that successful candidates share in this commitment. Persons who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources at 804.257.5841.
Application Process: Review of candidate materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For qualified applicants, the application packet should contain a letter of interest, resume and three current reference letters, including contact information. Mail completed package to the following address: Virginia Union University, Office of Human Resources, 1500 North Lombardy St., Richmond, VA 23220. Applications may also be e-mailed to Resumes@vuu.edu