STUDENT COMPLAINT PROCESS
Area of Responsibility: OFFICE OF ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT AND STUDENT AFFAIRS
Responsible Contact: VICE PRESIDENT FOR ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT AND STUDENT AFFAIRS
Policy Identification: STUDENT COMPLAINT PROCESS – SECTION 9.25
Effective Date: 5/1/09
When a student encounters a problem on campus that he/she does not know how to resolve, he/she should always try to work the problem out by first discussing it with those involved. Dealing with concerns in the most direct and honest fashion should always be the first step toward resolution. Many problems are resolved when a student makes an appointment with a faculty or staff member and calmly and honestly communicates their concerns.
If however, an issue or problem still exists, a student may initiate the formal complaint procedures at VUU. All formal complaints must be put in writing using the official VUU Student Complaint Form. This form is available at the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs (Henderson Student Center), in Deans’ offices, Vice Presidents’ offices, and on the Virginia Union University website.
The complaint process is based upon the following definitions:
• Formal Complaint: A concern or formal charge of dissatisfaction with a person, service, or process that requires clarification, investigation, and/or resolution.
o Level I Complaint: A verbal complaint that is resolved. Level I complaints will not be tracked.
o Level II Complaint: A written complaint, based upon the formal complaint definition that requires a student’s signature. If a form is submitted without a student’s name, the complaint will not be considered. Level II complaints will be tracked by the appropriate Vice President to ensure an action has been taken.
• Exclusions: The Student Complaint Procedures do not apply to grade appeals, complaints of sexual harassment, or student to student complaints. Please refer to the Student Handbook for procedures regarding these complaints. In addition, outcomes of grade and/or disciplinary appeal processes are not subject to further consideration through this process.
• Instructions for Filing a Written Complaint: Complete the Student Complaint Form and deliver it to the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs. The Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs will acknowledge receipt of the complaint by signing and dating the complaint form, and providing a copy of the signed document to the student.
Steps to Filing a Written Complaint
1. Attempt to resolve the issue by speaking directly with the individual(s) or office(s) involved. If no resolution is reached, begin the formal complaint process by completing and submitting the VUU Complaint Form to the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs.
The Complaint Form can be obtained:
o On line
o In the office of the Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs (Pickford Hall)
o In the Division of Financial Affairs (C. D. King Building);
o In the Division of Student Affairs Office (Henderson Student Center); and/or
o In Dean’s Offices.
2. Complete the Student Complaint Form and deliver it to the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs. The Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs will sign and date the completed complaint form and provide you with a copy.
3. The complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate Vice President for resolution.
4. The final resolution or an update on the status of your complaint will be communicated to you by the appropriate Vice President within ten business days using VUU email.
5. A record of your complaint resolution(s) will be maintained in the office at which the complaint was resolved.
For information regarding issues or concerns that are not covered by this process (such as issues of sexual harassment, grade appeals, student to student complaints, conduct matters, etc.) please refer to the VUU Student Handbook, the VUU Catalog, and/or contact the Offices of Academic Affairs, Financial Affairs or Student Affairs.
Sometimes students find they are particularly pleased with how something has been handled for them, how they were assisted by a particular staff member, the positive experience they had in a specific class, or some other outstanding thing that happened to them at VUU. As a student you should know that the same form used to lodge a concern, can also be used to provide a written compliment or note of appreciation. In this case, the process for submitting the form is the same as for filing a formal complaint.
Virginia Union University
Student Complaint Form
Please complete the following information. If hand delivered, please ask for a date stamped copy of this form.
Date Event Occurred:______________________ VUU Student ID Number _____________
Student First Name ________________________ Student Last Name __________________
Identify the category of your complaint (check all that apply)
Describe the issue or concern. (Be specific regarding Who, What, When and Where)
Have you talked with staff or the instructor regarding your concern? (If yes, please describe the outcome.)
Student Contact Information:
VUU Email Address:_________________________ Telephone Number _______________
Virginia Union University
Student Complaint Form
When Addressing My Concern: (check one)
___You may use my name
___You may use my name only after the end of the term
___You may not use my name
How did you find out about the process?
Student’s Signature _____________________________________________________________
For Office Use Only
Form Received by ______________________________________ Date Received __________
Procedures for Tracking Student Complaints
All complaints should be forwarded to the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs. The following procedures shall be followed to ensure dissemination of complaints to appropriate offices and timely response.
1. The Office of the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs will accept and acknowledge receipt of complaints by: (1) date stamping complaints, (2) signing complaints, and (3) providing a copy of the dated stamped, signed complaint to each complainant.
2. The Office of the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs will email the appropriate Vice President to alert him/her that a complaint has been filed and fax the complaint to the appropriate Vice President.
3. The Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs will email the student to advise him/her to whom and when the complaint was faxed. (For complaints about the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, the Vice President will email the complainant acknowledging receipt of the complaint).
4. The appropriate Vice President will contact the complainant to acknowledge receipt of the complaint and inform the student of next steps.
5. The appropriate Vice President will respond to the student in writing within ten days.
6. Each Vice President will maintain the Complaint Tracking Log.
7. Complaint Tracking Logs and documentation confirming resolution of complaints will be maintained in each Vice President’s Office.
Virginia Union University
Complaint Tracking Form - Confidential
Academic Year _____________
Date Received in Student Affairs Origination Nature of Complaint Summary of Responses